What can I buy?
- Produce, meats, dairy products, eggs, and more, directly from local farms
- All-natural packed grocery products from United Foods, a food distributor
- Herbs, supplements, and personal products from Frontier Natural Products
- Cheese, butter, and related products from International Gourmet Foods
- Locally produced milk, butter, and ice cream from Homeland Creamery
- Breads and other prepared foods from local restaurants and bakeries such as Camino Bakery, Mooney’s Mediterranean Cafe, Black Mountain Chocolate and more!
- A variety of other food and household items such as Charlie’s soaps
How do I order?
TBC has a web-based ordering system.
How much does it cost?
- TBC purchases goods at wholesale prices.
- TBC members pay a 5% “bump” on their orders: 5% for working members.
- North Carolina sales tax is collected.
- New member fee: $60
- The co-op collects annual dues every January to cover fixed expenses, like rent. $35 is collected from each member annually (12 months from date of joining).
- If you own a business, ask us about wholesale memberships as there is a different pricing structure.
Will I save money buying from TBC?
It depends! If you usually buy groceries from stores specializing in whole, organic or sustainable sources, you might save quite a bit: some products available through TBC are considerably cheaper. Other products may be only slightly less or similarly priced. Either way, as a member, you have a chance to purchase many items in bulk, leading to significant savings.
What do I have to do as a working member?
- Work means exactly that: doing a job every month that takes about 3 to 4 hours.
- Your application will help us determine what job and which shift we will offer you.
- If you accept a working membership, you must work your assigned job even if you don’t place an order that month.
- New members must work three ‘training shifts’ before receiving a permanent job placement, and we work with members when life changes happen that require a change in job assignment.
- Don’t worry, we have lots of different jobs, and we’ll train you. We’ll work with you to find the right fit.
How do I get my food?
Weekly pickups are every Friday, and monthly pickups (with a wider range of products) are every fourth Friday. All pickups are at our location inside of Acadia Foods: 228 W. Acadia Ave., Winston-Salem, NC 27127.
What are other reasons to join?
- Meet interesting people and have fun working together
- Reduce your trips to grocery stores
- Use less packaging
- Support local and organic farmers and businesses
- Fresh food tastes great!